Well, I somehow managed not to blog on day 6, as I’m writing this in the morning on November 7th. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t knit on the 6th – that couldn’t be furthest from the truth. By my calculations I knit 7,680 stitches. And actually there really were a few more than that because one of my current projects is a little fiddly and occasionally requires me to back up and re-work stitches due to a counting error. In some instances that may not be a big deal, but in this case it makes all the difference. This is a scarf with a distinctive stitch pattern that defines the scarf, so a mistake would be abundantly obvious even to the untrained eye.
Thankfully I generally catch a mistake early, as the scarf is 452 stitches long; but issues usually happen when I’m knitting on the wrong side, so I do have to check my work periodically. All told the scarf will take 79,327 stitches, and I’m only 15% complete, so I’ve got a ways to go.
But this isn’t a scraf blog (that typo is intentional, by the way – inspired by a typo seen in a store in Michigan). This is a sweater blog. And you may recall that I’m working on three sweaters at the moment. The cable sweater has gotten no attention in the past couple days because I have so many other projects in the works. I’m okay with that for the time being.
Based on my knitting goals for the day, today I will be splitting out the NaKniSweMo sweater between the sleeve stitches and body. And while the pattern is written to work the sleeves first and then the body, I am modifying the work to knit the body and then go back and knit each sleeve in the round (directions indicate knitting it flat). Because I’m working from a cone of yarn, I can’t knit them two-at-a-time though, so it’s good that I have my spreadsheet to monitor the number of rows/rounds I knit so that the second sleeve can match the first. That does, of course, presume that my gauge remains constant; I’m hopeful on that score, and my past experience has indicated as such.
The third sweater I have on the needles now, being a cardigan worked in pieces, is steadily moving along as well. my knitting goals indicate that tomorrow I will finish the left front so that Saturday I can cast on the right front. For that project the major modification I’ve done is to work short rows for the shoulder shaping, rather than binding off successive rows. For the completed back, I have all the stitches being held on a cable so I can work the shoulder seams using live stitches. I’ll also be able to work the neck stitches directly from live stitches when I go to work the ribbed border.
The other two projects currently in the works are the shawl I shared yesterday, which now has eleven completed border sections (of 40 total), and my latest pair of socks. Cookie A’s uber-popular pattern called “Monkey” is a fun design. Fortunately the stitch pattern is very easy to remember, so I don’t need to reference the pattern until I get ready to knit the heel flap. Again, my experience in this area makes it easy for me to progress as time permits. Plus, the pattern works up interestingly with variegated yarns, so it’s fun to watch the pattern emerge with the changing colors.
And now I can get a little bit of knitting in before work…